The post timeline general settings let you control over the timeline to display the posts of your choice in the timeline. The attached screen shows shows all the settings and their control over the timeline.
The general settings have five settings field in total. Let’s go through them one-by-one.
- Post Type: It will let you select the type of post you would like to show in the timeline.
- Categories: If you don’t want to show all the posts in the timeline, you can select a specific category of the post to show in the timeline.
- Tags: In this field, you need to add a tag related to the selected post and only those specific post who has such tags will be visible on timeline.
- Posts Per Page: This settings let you decide to choose the number of posts you want to show per page. Posts more than that will be shown in next page.
- Post Date: You can choose if you want to display the published date (the publish date of post) or custom date. Choosing custom date won’t work alone, you also need to provide the name of the field where custom date is added.
- Custom Meta Key: This field is only displayed when the previous field (Post Date) is selected to custom date. You need to enter the name of the field where custom date is added. In WordPress the custom fields are better known as Custom Meta Key.
- Order: This is the very first setting field in advanced settings. It will let you order all the posts in the timeline according to the published date. You can either display the post timeline in ascending order or horizontal order,
- Date Formats: The date format can also be changed in date/label settings. There are many options available according to the WordPress standard to format a date.
- Post Description: This setting let you select one of the options from ‘Summary’ or ‘Full’. Selecting ‘Summary’ will only show the excerpt of the post whereas selecting ‘Full’ will show the excerpt of the post if available or show the entire post otherwise and a link to the original post.
- Description Length: Description length option will let you adjust the length of the description. This option is only available when the ‘Post Description‘ is set to ‘Summary‘.